Please join Seyfarth Shaw on October 25, 2012 in Costa Mesa, California and on November 1, 2012 at our downtown office in Los Angeles, California for an informative breakfast briefing on best practices when dealing with newly hired or departing employees and the incumbent trade secret and information protection issues.
In today’s highly mobile and competitive world, employees frequently move between companies within the same industry. Rarely a day goes by without a news report of another high-profile theft of important data from a company, or the loss of key employees to competitors.
Employee mobility, coupled with the digitalization of company assets, has increased the need for creative and thoughtful protections of valuable company data. It has become extremely easy for employees, especially disgruntled or irresponsible ones, to take and disseminate confidential information to the detriment of their current or former employers. This trend illustrates the need to protect your company’s trade secrets and data against departing employees, and follow proper practices when hiring a competitor’s employees.
Serving as trusted advisors and based on years of experience advising clients and trying cases in this area of law, Seyfarth Shaw Partners Breton Bocchieri, Robert Milligan, and Erik von Zeipel will discuss these issues in two interactive and informative Breakfast Briefings.
Topics slated for discussion include:
- Best practices when hiring new employees:
- Proper interview and employee orientation techniques
- Employing effective non-disclosure and invention assignment agreements and computer access and bring your own device policies
- Best practices for protecting your company when employees depart:
- Proper exit interview techniques and certifications
- Reducing risk of disclosure of trade secrets in social media
- Discussion of recent cases/legislation
- The current circuit split on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Trade secret preemption
- High level strategies for addressing California’s prohibition on non-compete agreements
You can register for the complimentary breakfast briefing set for October 25, 2012 between 7:30 a.m.- 9:30 a.m. p.s.t. at the Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, California here.
You can register for the complimentary breakfast briefing set for November 1, 2012 between 7:30 a.m.- 9:30 a.m. p.s.t. at Seyfarth’s downtown Los Angeles office here.
The program is designed for in-house counsel, business leaders, HR professionals, and technology specialists.